Sunday 6 October 2013

The racing has begun!

So here it goes people, my first blog post for the season. I thought I'd start this up by running through the last couple of weeks, because its been really busy and great fun.

My first race of September was the inaugural Velocity Street Race through the Tyne Tunnel in Newcastle. It was a unique night with a special format, set as heats, semis and finals of 400m uphill sprints complete with smoke machines and a lazer finish line. I won my heat, semi and I found myself in the final against GB cycles rider Brit Tate. Unfortunately the strain of repeated sprints and  lack of warm down, goosed my legs and Brit got the better of me.

As I stood on the podium outside the tunnel, the clock was striking 1am and my thoughts were already turning to the Lister Lion cross which lay over 100 miles and only 11 hours away!

Velocity Podium: Tall people must be faster!
Saturday 14th began with a very early start having gone to bed at 3am! I have to admit that the drive from Newcastle to Halifax was filled with regret for entering 2 events so close together. However, once I started to ride the laps around the very picturesque Shibden Hall those feelings of regret faded and I started to get excited to race again.

Pretty cool finish line at Velocity!
The Lister cross was the hardest course I have ever ridden. Long punishing segments of 20%, suicidal drops through the forest and a downhill stair section all proved to be particularly tricky. I led from the gun and although I built a good lead the challenging course didn't allow for even the smallest moment of relaxation and I finished absolutely spent! Thanks to the MyTriClub team for putting on a great event and such a challenging course!



Next up I headed to the first round of the CXNE league held at Yarm. Once again the gods of cyclocross were feeling generous and had liaised with the weather man to provide some amazing sunshine and a beautifully dry course. I loved the course; a 50/50 mix of grass and single track woody sections which suited me well. I raced well finishing 1st woman and 31/74 overall.

So there you have it folks, my first post and hopefully the first of many. I hope you enjoy reading them. Feel free to follow me on twitter @muddymurray and keep in touch!











No comments:

Post a Comment