Wednesday 20 August 2014

Summer Fun

Summit of the Port de Bales 
I thought I would write a few things that have been highlights in 2014, before the proper racing starts and the race reports start flooding in.

April: A 7 day jolly to Mallorca with the Leeds University Cycling team. Our group of 13 had a super time riding around the island for the week. The weather was fabulous for April and we explored all over. Some particular highlights were pushing it up Sa Calobre and watching Euan being pushed in the pool after a brave defeat at table tennis.
LUUCC on tour. Spot the short fry 

May: Revising. Spent the month staring out of the window at the glorious weather wishing I was on my bike, whilst slightly regretting the 7 days spent in Mallorca not revising and hence building stress levels.

LUUCC Gold: The Dream team 
The dream machine. Note the orange :) 
June: Exams over! Whoop! I took custody of my new mountain bike (note this tactically occurred after exams, or it is fair to say I would have failed for sure). So trips to Dalby, Glentress, Hamsterley forest begun which was so much fun. Then on a very, very wet day, LUUCC ventured to the British University XC championships. It was a complete mudbath but spirits were high and the Leeds boys (Ed, Hugo and Luke 'el presidente') took home team silver, whilst myself and Jo Rycroft won Gold. To top it off, I won gold individually and Jo took silver. Perfect!


Other June highlights included an appearance at Morvelo Citycross; the urban cyclocross. This is event is mega unique with heats in the morning and a final in the evening. Qualifying in 2nd place for the final I knew I had much more in the tank and so was happy to take the win on a seriously narrow and technical course. I loved the event, I was thrilled to take the win but more than happy that I managed to stay upright as some of those brick walls looked like they would hurt!!!

Great course and organisation at Morvelo City Cross 

Le Tour in Yorkshire! Living in Leeds proved to be most convenient when the ASOS announced that the Tour de France would visit Yorkshire. I had seen Le Tour before, but there was something a lot more special and exciting about the race coming to the UK. The atmosphere for the weekend was brilliant and everyone, cycling fan or not seemed to get behind the event and into the Tour spirit. Scott and I were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and find ourselves in the VIP area for the Grand Depart, where we were able to mingle amongst the riders and staff, which was awesome! When it was all over we said goodbye to the staff members and told them to look out for us on the French climbs where we were to see the race 3 more times.
Getting super close at the Grand Depart Leeds 

The infamous Caisse Desert of the Col d'Izoard 


July: Off on holiday! We headed to Briancon in the French Alps with family to do some riding. The scenery was spectacular for cycling and walking, and the weather was great to match. There was a huge choice of climbs but the Col d'Izoard, Sestriere and Alpe D'Huez were my personal highlights. After 2 weeks the family drove home and Scott and I headed onwards to Bagnieres de Luchon in the Pyreenees to meet up with Jenny, Caroline and Hugo for yet more riding.




Climbing up to Sestriere 
It was our first venture into the Pyreenees and I loved it. The climbs were inviting unlike the intimidating angular nature of the Alpine peaks. Geology aside, the most spectacular view was from the summit of the Port du Bales, where the huge mountains look like larger versions of the rolling green Yorkshire Dales! My favourite climbs were the Col de Mente and the Col de Peyresourde. The warm friendly nature of the ascents however, were contrasted by the sheer number of enormous bulls roaming the fields on the side of the road. Plenty of intervals were completed on the mountainous roads just trying to get away from the intimidatingly aggressive bulls as fast as possible. On a more friendly note we did come across deer, wild horses and a pack of wild donkeys on our travels: who says wildlife is always scary. Away from cycling we filled time with a trip to Toulouse, climbing lessons and a day in Bruges


August: It was back home for 2 days then off to Riva del Garda in Italy with my Grandparents, and they begrudgingly conceded and let me take my most prized possession: my carbon of course. The Trentino region is a gateway into the Dolomites (a mountain range in Northern Italy). The weather was much hotter than the mountain regions of France, yet the altitude much lower. Riva starts at +100m and rises to 1200m on the highest peaks. It was a great 10 days training, and if I went back I would certainly bring my mountain bike as Riva is a known mecca for off road riding buffs.

Beautiful Trentino 
Summer is not yet over: the racing is to soon begin and preparation is going well. I have some exciting news to come so stay tuned, and keep riding your bikes!


No comments:

Post a Comment