Thursday 14 May 2015

First race of the season and a new team- Torq Performance!

Credit must go the organisers who had set out a brilliant course for us in Hamsterley Forest. There was mud and roots aplenty, lots of steep slippery climbs and a few fun manmade trail sections, including the newly opened OddSox trail.

The race started with a long forest road climb and I took the lead when the gradient turned sharply upwards. From there we headed into a super slippery single track section which was brilliant fun. I had the same adrenaline rush as cyclocross when your wheels are sliding everywhere and staying upright is the main battle!

From there I built a lead of 30 seconds coming into the final section of the lap. Then, OH NO! Psshh, a flat rear tyre. Luckily, I only had to limp down a short section of fire road back to the car park but I lost 2 minutes in the process.

Thank goodness for the Lezyne lever kit and CO2 canister system! I popped a tube in and then within seconds the CO2 canister popped the tyre back on the rim perfectly.

Re-inflated and rehydrated, I re-joined the course with a 17 minute deficit on the leaders. I settled into a rhythm again and completed another 2 laps. Unfortunately I couldn’t close the large gap to the overall leaders, but I was first expert rider home.

Toeing the start line was a victory in itself for me, after a nasty knee injury had hampered me since February. I felt very lucky that my first race this season was close to home in the North East, as they always put on a great race and everyone has a smile on their face.



Now I’m going to go and enjoy my prize…..


No comments:

Post a Comment